The Alumni Awards for Excellence celebrate Western State Colorado University as a community of teachers and learners. The Award is the University's highest honor for its graduating seniors. It was established by former President Harry Peterson in 1997 as an opportunity to recognize the talents and achievements of our graduates. Graduating students are nominated by college faculty and staff.
The criteria for the award include:
- Outstanding scholarship.
- Creativity, thoughtfulness and initiative in the classroom.
- Service to the campus/community outside the classroom.
- Service as an excellent representative of Western State Colorado University.
In addition to honoring our graduating students, it is the tradition of the Alumni Awards for Excellence to honor one Western faculty or staff member who has had the greatest impact on each award winner's career at Western.
- Dominika Kaszuba, Accounting, honored Jen Michel, Head Cross Country Coach/ Assistant Track and Field Coach
- Katie Roos, Biology and Exercise and Sports Science, honored Sara Phillips, Director of LEAD & Orientation
- Scott Bird, Music, honored Dr. Heather Roberson, Associate Professor of Music
- Rebekah Corah, Art, honored Tina Butterfield, Assistant Professor of Art
- Taylor Cull, Politics & Government, honored Dr. Maria Boikova Struble, Associate Professor of Politics and Government
- Erin Kearns, Environment & Sustainability and Outdoor Education, honored Christie Hicks, Wilderness Pursuits Manager
- Torrie Nickel, Art and Recreation & Outdoor Education, honored Thaddeus Smith, Art Department Gallery Director
- Annie Westbury, Recreation & Outdoor Education, honored Dr. Brooke Moran, MEM Graduate Faculty and Professor of Recreation and Outdoor Education
Click here to view past AAE Award Winners!